Hello,

I'm making a Mario mod and for now I'm experimenting in implementing
various mario game play mechanics. I'm using the normal zombie as a
test subject for now. What I did was to make the zombie kill the
player when it touches him unless it is touched from above, in which
case it's the zombie which is killed.

So far so good, but seasoned mario fans know that when mario steps on
a monster he makes a small jump. I tried to do this with various
methods but the player's velocity doesn't seem to change no matter
what I do. A little help, please?

I find my method rather crude, but I'll leave the final judgement to
you. The most important thing for me is to learn why the player's
velocity doesn't seem to change at all since in fact this is the same
code that antlion guards use to shove the player:

void CZombie::Touch( CBaseEntity *pOther )
{
        if ( pOther->IsPlayer() )
        {
                if (pOther->WorldSpaceCenter().z >
(this->EyePosition().z)+25.0f)
                {
                        this->TakeDamage( CTakeDamageInfo( pOther, pOther,
10*(this->m_iHealth), DMG_GENERIC ) );
                        Vector forward, up;
                        AngleVectors( GetLocalAngles(), &forward, NULL, &up );
                        pOther->ApplyAbsVelocityImpulse( forward * 10 + up * 50
);
                }
                else
                        pOther->TakeDamage( CTakeDamageInfo( this, this,
10*(pOther->m_iHealth), DMG_GENERIC ) );
        }

}

On a completely unrelated note, I have to report that while
experimenting I used the EndTouch function that seemed to cause a
looping sound crash. I'm just saying this in case it helps track down
a bug or something.

Thanks in advance,
Nicholas