On Saturday 13 January 2007 3:36 am, Justin Krenz wrote:
> You want vphysics collisions because they're more accurate than OBBs.
> You can't predict a vphysics collision because you rely on the vphysics
> simulation code which will only tell you of a collision once it's
> actually occuring.  Is that correct?
>
> If that is correct, then I suggest you use the OBB trace or an AABB
> tracehull to detect if the ship is going to hit something as suggested
> already.  Now, if it is going to hit an object, then you can perform a
> more accurate vphysics collidable trace on it to ensure that it does hit
> the more accurate vphysics collision model of the ship.  Look in
> triggers.cpp line 1716 for an example of how to do this.  This would
> require you do the same on the client and server and handle everything
> about the collision on your own.

Roll-your-own broadphase and collide.  The broadphase won't be able to handle
more than a single ent colliding with the BBox, given that traces only return
the single ent hit.  (Well, with an iterative procedure and custom
tracefilter that iteratively adds each intersecting ent, maybe).  I'm also
not going to be able to simulate the angles on each collision, as I don't
have the worldposition of the intersect point, so I can't apply the correct
collision torque.

Short of VALVe feeling nice, this might be the only solution though.
Unless...

   (off-list for my insane idea.)

-John Sheu