OK, I get it now. USE gcc2.96
it comes with RH 9, put CC=gcc296 in the Makefile.

NOTE: none of the HL SDK files or patches at metamod.org are ANSI-compliant

It took me a little longer than a half and hour using the guide.
http://articles.thewavelength.net/617/
could add a new section for things like isalnum, isspace.
this would not work: extern int isalnum(int)
it compiles, crashes with unresolved externals

at the end had to include "ctype.h" in three files.
sound.cpp
client.cpp
multiplayer-rules.cpp

step-by-step