CONTEXT: In our mod, the default state is to have a mouse cursor on-screen.
Right-click and hold is mouselook, left-click selects entities, left-click
and drag moves the selected entities.  This is achieved by sending a trace
client-side at the location of the mouse and sending the endpos to the
server to update the position of the selected entities.  This update is done
every tick.

PROBLEM: On some test machines, this works well.  On other test machines, it
works for a couple of seconds, then the position updates begin to lag worse
and worse over time.  The only consistency we've seen is that single core
machines work and multi-core machines lag.

QUESTIONS: Is this a known problem?  Or are we just not optimizing well
enough?  Any ideas how to optimize this process?

NOTE: We have tried setting the affinity of hl2.exe to single processor to
no avail.