I've seen many dumps for my mod with this similar stack trace ending on
the exact address in studiorender.dll.  I remember asking Alfred about
it a year ago, and he said:

"I am not getting good stack traces from those dumps, could they be
general memory/stack corruption?"

One thing I've learned about memory dumps and Source is that memory
dumps won't always have the correct location of the crash.  If you have
a dump with a stack trace in "materialsystem.dll", it's almost certainly
made the dump after the exception has occurred and had already begun
purging the materials from memory.  However, if you run from your
debugger, the debugger will have broken execution at the exact time it
receives an unhandled exception.  From that I'd say dumps in
"studiorender.dll!2c00bb0e()" are probably from an unhandled exception
somewhere else and Source is purging models in memory.

Nevertheless, I'd try to get the crash to occur while you have you're
running via your debugger, and if you manage to get it, save a memory
dump with heap so that Valve can get a good idea of what is going on.

Microsoft has free debugging tools that you might want to try getting
your testers to use to get a dump with heap of all your crashes.  That
could definitely help.

Jeremy wrote:
So we released FF, and things are going pretty well. As with any mod I'm
sure the flood of people having issues has begun. The most serious of the
issues we are seeing is frequent client crashes in studiorender.dll. I went
through a forum thread of about 20-30 dump files to see what kinda stuff I
could come up with and about 95% of them were a crash in
studiorender.dllHere's an example of the callstack we're seeing with
the most common crash.

studiorender.dll!2c00bb0e()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for
studiorender.dll]
studiorender.dll!2c017f4f()
studiorender.dll!2c00bc31()
studiorender.dll!2c002f30()
engine.dll!200e8304()
studiorender.dll!2c01e31e()
materialsystem.dll!0d831704()
materialsystem.dll!0d80dc29()
materialsystem.dll!0d80dc99()
studiorender.dll!2c001f39()
engine.dll!200e8512()
client.dll!C_BaseAnimating::InternalDrawModel(int flags=0x2406cc4b) Line
2560 C++
datacache.dll!0d73497b()
client.dll!C_BasePlayer::DrawModel(int flags=0x00000009) Line 1127 + 0xc
bytes C++
client.dll!C_FFPlayer::DrawModel(int flags=0x00000009) Line 1706 + 0xc bytes
C++
client.dll!DrawOpaqueRenderable(IClientRenderable * pEnt=0x00000000, bool
twoPass=true) Line 1003 C++
client.dll!CViewRender::DrawOpaqueRenderables(ClientWorldListInfo_t &
info={...}, CRenderList & renderList={...}) Line 1115 + 0x10 bytes C++
client.dll!CViewRender::WaterDrawHelper(const CViewSetup & view={...},
ClientWorldListInfo_t & info={...}, CRenderList & renderList={...}, float
waterHeight=-56.000000, int flags=0x0008a52c, view_id_t viewID=0x04921560,
float waterZAdjust=0.00000000, int iForceViewLeaf=0xffffffff) Line 3983 C++
client.dll!CViewRender::ViewDrawScene_EyeUnderWater(bool bDrawSkybox=false,
const CViewSetup & view={...}, int nClearFlags=0x00000002, const
VisibleFogVolumeInfo_t & fogInfo={...}, const CViewRender::WaterRenderInfo_t
& waterInfo={...}) Line 4311 C++
client.dll!CViewRender::WaterDrawWorldAndEntities(bool bDrawSkybox=false,
const CViewSetup & viewIn={...}, int nClearFlags=0x00000002) Line 3805 C++
client.dll!CViewRender::ViewDrawScene(bool bDrew3dSkybox=true, bool
bSkyboxVisible=true, const CViewSetup & view={...}, int
nClearFlags=0x00000002, view_id_t viewID=VIEW_MAIN, bool
bDrawViewModel=true, int baseDrawFlags=0x00000000) Line 1741 C++
client.dll!CViewRender::RenderViewEx(const CViewSetup & view={...}, int
nClearFlags=0x00000002, int whatToDraw=0x00000003) Line 3383 C++
client.dll!CViewRender::Render(vrect_t * rect=0x0012e4f4) Line 1108 C++
engine.dll!20193799()
engine.dll!200c5e4f()
engine.dll!200d1a6b()
engine.dll!200d2177()
engine.dll!200df035()
engine.dll!200df163()
engine.dll!200df20f()
engine.dll!201892f3()
engine.dll!201880d7()
materialsystem.dll!0d80f2d5()
engine.dll!200f100b()
engine.dll!201881d4()
engine.dll!201fe641()
engine.dll!201888fe()
engine.dll!201889bc()
launcher.dll!100083e1()
launcher.dll!100083e1()
launcher.dll!10005cf2()

Obviously we can't debug studiorender.dll Has anyone else run into issues
like this? Anyone know of anything offhand that might cause render issues?
We have a slight speculation of it potentially being LOD related so we're
going to do some tests down that road of LOD-less models with some of the
testers that are having issues and see if that goes anywhere, but any
additional help would be appreciated. I still have the dump files as well if
Valve is willing to take a look.

Jeremy