Joel R. wrote:
I really don't like the Physics system due to the many limitations we have
with it, including tracing.  Which is why I want to build my own trace.

I took a quick look at the Quake2 source code and they do a
RecursiveHullTrace which I believe HL/HL2 uses, maybe if I mimic it and take
into account the radius of my sphere I could get the trace I'm looking for.
I'll have to test this method out and see how it pans out.  If I do happen
to get this trace working I'll be glad to share my results with the
everyone.

The last time I was into this, the Source SDK as we have it has no
support for sweeping anything other than AABBs.  Swept "VCollides" don't
work (I forgot the name exactly), and physics tests only happen once per
frame in static positions.  Really a PITA when you're trying to do
anything with unusual player movement (read: proning, vehicles).

-John Sheu