I had a similar problem as the one you describe. A map was loading
without any problem and recently it start to crash Hammer.

To fix it I open the vmf file, with a text editor, and changed the
last entries of the file cameras and cordon from:

cameras
{
        "activecamera" "0"
        camera
        {
                "position" "[-1453.32 937.772 257.602]"
                "look" "[-1453.32 937.772 257.602]"
        }
}
cordon
{
        "mins" "(99999 99999 99999)"
        "maxs" "(-99999 -99999 -99999)"
        "active" "0"
}

cameras
{
        "activecamera" "0"
        camera
        {
                "position" "[763.693 537.118 195.715]"
                "look" "[761.287 536.37 194.398]"
        }
}
cordon
{
        "mins" "(-1385 -756 -2792)"
        "maxs" "(1512 3638 1267)"
        "active" "0"
}

After this, the map started to load ok and because of that I didn't
care much about the problem anymore but maybe the problem is in the
cordon being all 99999.

Davide (DAV)
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Azure Sheep: http://halflife.multiplayer.it/azuresheep/