From: "Ook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlcoders@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:43 PM
Subject: Re: [hlcoders] How to get actual vertices from map/rmf file?

I saw those - the BSP one was good, but there were things the author wasn't
certain about. Does Valve publish an official BSP format guide? The map
file
doesn't store vertices, neither does the vmf - those coordinates you see
are
not actual vertices, there are a more "efficient" way to store the plane
definition - it uses three coordinates for a four sided polygon, for
example, instead of storing the actual vertices (go figure?). Makes the
file
smaller, but you have to do some math to get actual vertices. It's not
difficult, but it's more work then I have time for right now. The BSP docs
say "vertex arrays", but I'm not sure if it has an array of vertices, or
actual vertex arrays (they are not quite the same thing). It also might
have
the normals in it, so I might spend a few hours extracting stuff from the
BSP and see if that will give me what I want. The BSP data is already
clipped, where the RMF data includes all of the planes that would normally
get clipped. Otherwise I'll go with the RMF, since it not only has actual
vertices for the planes, but has texture information in the same block,
and
texture u/v coords as well. It doesn't have the normals, but that should
be
easy to calculate. For my purposes, a few thousand extra polygons won't
make
any difference, because performance really isn't an issue.

I'm curious why they made the decision to not store actual vertices in
map/vmf files? The file size reduction really isn't significant, and the
files are highly compressible. Having actual vertices in the vmf would
make
it easier to work with outside of hammer.