Haven't been modding long? Because mod versioning has generally been exposed
to the modders, such as in the Q3 engine. Foxbot didn't need versioning for
HL1, being server side only so I don't know if HL1 was missing the
functionality too.

>From the Q3 source
// check version
s = CG_ConfigString( CS_GAME_VERSION );
if ( strcmp( s, GAME_VERSION ) ) {
       CG_Error( "Client/Server game mismatch: %s/%s", GAME_VERSION, s );
}

Appreciate the responses, but none of them really address the core issue.
That being that there doesn't appear to be any exposed versioning support. A
proper solution shouldn't be that difficult to add. The entire point of this
question for valve is that they have the ability to add something relatively
easily and more 'proper' than any of the do it yourself solutions mentioned
thus far. Notifying them that theres a more recent version doesn't solve our
problem. As I already mentioned, our clients are generally updated. It's a
number of the servers who are slow to update. It's a little late to change
game folders for each version change(and a hack as well). Nowhere do I
expect valve to provide update notification to clients.

Servers being generally unattended kinda ruin the usefulness of a nag
message, and I'd question how useful a command line nag message would even
be on the server side. To me the only real solution is real versioning.
Clients should not see nor be able to join incompatible servers, period.
It's common sense. Given that versioning depends very much on the mod, there
should be a hook for that provided somewhere in the mod, like quake 3 did
8-9 years ago. Until then each release of a mod does significant damage to
itself with user frustrations of not knowing what servers on a long list of
them is compatible. Frustrated users don't stick with a game long.

A response from Valve would be most useful. How does Valve do it? Maybe
there's some way that hasn't been mentioned yet.