The problem is there's too much info in the string tables. You can see
the contents of the string tables using dumstringtables - but I've
found that to be unreliable, so here's a couple of commands I made:

http://pastebin.ca/878546

Basically you want to keep the total string table size quite a bit
under 96000 bytes.

There's a bunch of ways I've tried to do this:

Sounds aren't precached anymore, so they don't get added to the string
table until they're actually used.

Same with particles.

Same with scenes.

The models seem to take an entry even if they don't exist now. And it
doesn't correct backslashes in the model name etc (so models/error.mdl
and models\error.mdl are stored as seperate entries, doubling the
space it uses). So I hacked a function to try to correct this in
CBaseEntity:PrecacheModel().

That's all I can remember. I don't think most of these things would be
an issue unless you were like GMod and mounting a bunch of other
content (like sounds from cs, dod, tf2, ep2, portal etc).. but
something must be going wrong for you to be overflowing.

Hope that helps

garry