There are quite a few hashing functions out there for strings.  The C++ STL
contains one that you can use directly if you so wish.  It is pretty generic
since it is not optimized for any specific sequence of characters (such as
you might see in filepaths), but it should be 'good-enough' for the generic
purpose.

Also, boost has a hashing library that works well, could always use that.