Per Rasmussen,

I'm not sure how to pass messages as you've described.

However, depending on how complex your shading is, you might be able to use
a Procedural Material.
Or, you might find that a procedural material is required as an entry point
for communication with the underlying shading.

I've used PM/PT before, and this tutorial is pretty good:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Procedural_Materials

Good Luck,

Steve