Let me and my trusty hex editor (shameless plug: XVI32 -- I like it even
though it's written in Pascal) shed some light on this issue.

I extracted the Makefiles from sourcesdk.gcf using GCFScape, which I'm
pretty sure doesn't transform line endings in the slightest. The hex
dump of the files displayed a rather weird combination of newline
characters: \r\r\n (0x0D 0x0D 0x0A, CRCRLF). Perhaps somebody assembling
the depot FTP'd the Makefiles, which were in CRLF format on Mike's Linux
box, using ASCII mode to his Windows machine, which converted the LFs to
CRLFs, yielding CRCRLF.

Running "dos2unix" on the Makefiles should convert every occurence of
CRLF to LF, thereby turning every CRCRLF to a simple CRLF.

I don't know if this necessitates a fresh code drop, but could it be at
least queued for the next SDK update?

Kthxbai,
~~ Ondra