We're actually already doing this with our mod. Feel free to check it out
with the following (shameless) plug
http://www.moddb.com/mods/10890/berimbau

A more recent video of it is at
http://www.ghost-hack.com/berimbau/heavy_combo_test.wmv

Another, albeit crappy quality, youtube video is at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmvMj1Q-5tE

It's certainly possible to get at what you're talking about, but not without
a lot of heavy modifications.
So far some of the more special things we've done to enhance melee are

(not to say they haven't been done in source yet)

- complete directional attacks based on movement
- attack tracers emitted from swords
- character animation "hold" to hold a pose after an attack, as well as
holding player control
- character animation velocity that moves the entire player based on
animation events
- multiple "stances" based on your character state (crouching, walking,
running, blocking)
- quaternion-based third person camera with a smooth lock-on , a
contribution by J "One-Eyed" R from the Mariokart Source team
- an almost-fixed hl2dm third-person camera with most of the third-person
animation glitches cleaned up

You may as well join our team to consolidate our effort to making a good
melee game, although I'm not sure what your vision for melee combat is. Feel
free to send me a private email if you'd like to share.

~M

Message: 5