I wasn't using the DECLARE_CLASS macro in my new ClientMode class'
declaration. Template already has that set up and working so I don't
think my experience applies. ;-)

There's an article on VDC that describes the problem. I suspect my issue
came under the second header, although debugging definitely did /not/
show the failure in this case!

<http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/OnGameRulesCreationStringChanged:_missing_gamerules_class_on_the_client>