For the love of god do not use CVS. If you're going to go with
centralized version control (which is conceptually easier to grok)
then stick with SVN. There's a free book on the web if you're having
problems learning how to use it. With TortoiseSVN, I've found it very
easy to work with once you have the basic concepts down.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

There's also the distributed version control systems like Git and
Mercurial, but those are going to more conceptually complicated to
understand at first. I'd stay stick with Subversion. Reading through
the book will help you get comfortable with it.

--Bob