In a way this is good news cause it should help me resolve the fopen issue.
However, it turns up another problem. Part of what I'm planning to write to
the external file is encrypted data. The encryption shall be done using a
public domain implementation of a specific encryption algorithm. I included
the corresponding header file in the basecombatplayer.cpp (the file itself I
placed in the /src/common) and created an instance of the encryption class.
This turned up another LNK2019 linker error, but with an error description
like: "LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: class... referenced in
function void foo..."

I didn't mention this in my first mail cause I thought solving the fopen
issue would solve this issue as well, despite the different error message.