You running windows7? - There is a bunch of stuff in 7 that says 'reduce
volume if I'm running a communication program' or something. You can't
select what actually IS a communication program, nor can you see what it
thinks is a communication program. Might be that thinking source is a comms
thing.

Look for the option in the sound settings somewhere (forget where exactly)