I did that once (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away)...

http://hpb-bot.bots-united.com/building.html

The VGUI stuff wouldn't link with the client DLL (because of Microsoft
compiled namespace issues).  I had to create a fake VGUI to allow the
client to render to the display.  Singleplayer savegame stuff had to be
overridden (because of the engine doing some name mangling magic on the
function names that were saved/loaded, Think functions, etc).  Other
than that, it was mostly cleaning up non-portable C++ code.  That was
all with GoldSrc which I'm guessing would be much easier than the
current Source codebase.  :)