From: Zach Brockway <neveren...@gmail.com>
Subject: [hlcoders] Overriding materials, especially while rendering world
(BSP) geometry
To: hlcoders@list.valvesoftware.com

Hi list,

I've been investigating the possibility of being able to do across-the-board
material overriding. Motivated by an idea for implementing an alternate vision
mode, it would also entail a few other things like rendering alternate view
setups into render targets; however, all of that seems to be well-supported and
you even get the benefit of examples of how to do it. The part that I'm really
stuck on is the fact that there doesn't seem to be a way to affect the material
used for rendering BSP geometry, since it's all blackboxed away in the engine.

Things I've tried:
Calling ForcedMaterialOverride on modelrender, studiorender, and
g_pStudioRender, before render->DrawWorldLists is called. This had no effect.
Installing an IBrushRenderer using render->InstallBrushSurfaceRenderer. My
implementation of RenderBrushModelSurface was never called, so I suspect this
only affects brush-based entities.

Of course, I still have to worry about how to handle the rendering of
*everything else* if I manage to figure this out, but this particular problem
struck me as the biggest stretch for the engine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
"They've penetrated our code walls. They're stealing the Internet!"
"We'll need to hack all IPs simultaneously."

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----