I had a game idea. How about a website launched source game? I'm good
at makin dynamic websites on asp.net, then the c# code could generate
custom pages for each user to play a game upon, then the source engine
would get spawned by the site (after downlaod n install, site could
also be a c# or c++ program, or even a script like .bat or .vb ... ,
although web options might include a non-download playable mode(s),
such as a crafting or other non-combat networked options. Networking
in visual web developer is pretty easy, via mssql, and the web site
could act as a matchmaking server and otherwise coordinate multiple
simultaneous source servers running on clients on the site that
downloaded the software or on the server(s)

Players would then play a meta game on the website, that could then
launch the source engine with a mix of probably command-line or
otherwise passed-into parameters, such as via file or even compiling
the sdk ;p (anyone wanna team up with me that already knows source?
I'll show you how the webs work and we can do both our ideas ;p )

The source engine seems great for gunfighting....the network code
seems good too, and it's a fast engine. CS:S is still popular, but i'm
not sure what the rules are on usin current source games
art/models/etc, although it might be nice to see some of the popular
source titles put their models/etc in the source sdk for free, maybe
some other companies with other games have different payment
systems...

Anyways I'm assumin source can spawn terrain and models...can it do
tiles? (also physics?) One option might be to have some terrain tiles,
or possible internal terrain cubes (like rooms, with flags on all 6
sides for blocked or not, along with 'extra' code to line up pieces by
the meta code that generates the levels

Then the same code places the objects with x,y,z, and then does the
source do the AI and/or multiplayer, or lol maybe i coudl work with a
team (on this or whatever), and then the engine reports back to the
calling program what happened with the game...

on a random side note, how about some anti-aimbot tools and/or other
solutions, including possibly games that include both wallhack +
aimbot in their design so all players use them funly as per
multiplayer game rules? lemmie know if you want help finding
algorithims to detect aimbot from internal variables and mouse
movements and other neat humanistic heuristics ;)

anyways a bit like facebook, players would use the site to set up a
'game persona/city/realm/team/etc', and spawn engine matches from
there, or just use the trading and other web interfaces as an option
too, including the ability perhaps to build or affect the arrangements
that are generated when a player tries to raid their base area that
they've built up rts style out of tiles, maybe some terrain and then
buildings placed on that , perhaps 3d physics, perhaps the terrain has
'spots' to put certain buildings, those have hitpoints and get
attacked maybe, and players can control npcs in them that are AI if
someone goes there with a gun out ;p

or somethin like that....how about a version of counter-strike (or
whatever) where the entire game is played at half speed or quarter
speed ? Or perhaps as a round setting with voting...I'd be into tryin
a neat counter-strike server too, if anyone knows more about source
than me and/or has some more free time than me too ;p (crimecraft is
down! :(  talk about a neat game with no bullet-point features that
comes together well for a satisfying mmo-pvp experience :) so far at
least, got to level 25 and paid a bit at the item shop...nice item
shop too, for people makin indie games, free up front is probably the
way to go....and also perhaps gettin early 'demo' releases out , and
gettin players/testers and perhaps some online momentum and testing
going...or at least getting games you and others can play and talk
about pretty quickly, before buildin up a big one ;p

Also I was thinkin since CS:S has bots , maybe a single player version
of CS:S would be neat? One option might be off the shelf mods , but i
was thinkin of doin the generated levels thing with a buncha maps,
maybe from map sites or not...or maybe even generated from small
tiles, or mixed tiles, so i coudl generate large containment boxes and
then populate those with smaller boxes without risk of players fallin
out....or perhaps by giving players tiles and a networked web site and
gameplay rewards and objectives, they'll build nice maps rts style
minig and building and placing npcs and defenses, then perhaps like
respawning, to 'pvp' or fight with the maps you instance a copy and
keep one too :) so you end up saving a ton of player generated maps
filled with npcs to try....or perhaps a single player css style game ,
maybe with more cash potential and more expensive guns n bullets to
level up more slowly , less hostiles per map load, and start over on
death ;p

Also how about a game mode that mixes cs:s multiplayer with bots? Both
co-op , like l4d2, and also DOTA-style where it's pvp, maybe like 6v6
humans or full size 128v128 (also a game where you use less resources,
smaller models, less animations/options, and a much larger player cap
in a small area ;p ) , and then also spawn ais either like rts
tactical style where players can rpg up their army of bots with armor
and weapon upgrades and then command them a bit, or like dota dumb
ones in a mirror half map....

Also how about a cs-s like game that's 1v1 ? It could cover the full
range of game styles (hardcore realism like i like, wanna try arma2
soon...been playin crimecraft, gta4 lost n damned, ms visual c++, etc,
), or like tf2 1v1....to keep the game interesting and peppy, the maps
would have to be neat and varied. Also on both winning (killin) and
losing (dying), it would be nice to promptly load another match
without clickin menus waiting if possible. In all games. I'd proabbly
do it 'winner stays on the map' style, along with 1-hit rules.

In 1v1, it might also be possible to use bullet time (slow mo) in sync
with both players in certain events, and also things like vats.
Another neat thing might be a game like CS-S, except played with time
controls like simcity, pause, forward slow, fast forward, etc, but no
rewind, and you issue orders to your ai-units x-com / rts style , with
pause and unpause, or possibly with a fixed time constant in
multiplayer like a rts including at real time or slower.

On a random side note, what if everybody here that wasn't working
together, combined all the stuff they have into one mighty design and
then refined and implemented it? It might be better than everything
else here so far, and we coudl use the open source style internally in
that changes to the big project get rolled back but you can still work
on your stuff seperately too, just share about as much as you take ;p