As far as the fgd goes you can make modifications to existing entries that
are part of the base.fgd you would just have your fgd load in the base.fgd
rather then include it in hammer.

All you need is @include "base.fgd" at the top of your fgd.

That way hammer knows that yours is using the base.fgd rather then to treat
them as separate fgds that conflict if you were to just include both in
hammer options.