Hey all,

I'm working on a mod using the Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer and we're having some very strange issues with recording and playing back a demo. The demo will record as normal, and playback is normal but then sometimes will lag and stutter horribly, after which the recording will be jerky, as if it was missing frames/ticks.

I've narrowed down the cause of the stutter to the XY velocity of the player, this is repeatable and independent of any other variables that I have tested. It appears that as long as the player doesn't exceed ~320u/s horizontal velocity on 100 tick servers, or ~540u/s horizontal velocity on 66 tick servers, playback is normal. When we reach this threshold the recording will lag horribly and then either the interpolation stops, or the demo begins recording at a lower tick rate; something to that effect. If they drop below this velocity threshold, the lag stops. This is such a strange reason for a demo to lag that I'd much rather that I was wrong and called an idiot than be right and have to narrow down the cause of this bug.
Here's a video demonstrating the problem: https://youtu.be/Ue_ynREWphs

Does anyone have any clue as to why this is happening? The GitHub repo for our code is here, if that is any help:
https://github.com/momentum-mod/game

Thanks,
Aidan S.