I figured out the problem. Once I updated the metamod_i386.so file, I had
to edit the liblist.gam file. The current liblist.gam file that comes with
DoD looks like this:

//Day of Defeat 1.2

game "Day of Defeat"
gamedir "dod"
url_info "http://www.dayofdefeatmod.com";
url_dl ""
date "April 27, 2001"
version "1.2b"
size "154000000"
svonly "0"
cldll "1"
hlversion "1106"
nomodels "1"
mpentity "info_player_allies"
gamedll "dlls\dod.dll"
//gamedll_linux "dlls/dod_i386.sogamedll_linux "dlls/metamod_i386.so"

I had to comment out the gamedll line and uncomment the gamedll_linux line
and all do delete part of that line to look like this for the server to
startup and for adminmod to work correctly:

url_info "http://www.dayofdefeatmod.com";
url_dl ""
date "April 27, 2001"
version "1.2b"