That's not really the case.  The card/driver combination makes or breaks a
3D solution.  For instance, under w9x, using dual voodoo2's, HL/CS would
probably run great.  Since I threw 9x out the window a couple of years back,
I've run NT/2000 on my workstations exclusively.

Now, with HL/CS 1.0 and 1.1, my FPS would drop to sub 20, and sometimes less
than 10 on W2K with the 3dfx W2K beta drivers for Voodoo2.  Since 3dfx went
under, I was forced to go with nVidia GF2 MX PCI to fix the problem, because
they fully support W2K.

Now my minimum FPS is exactly 37.5, which is strange, as it is exactly half
of my 75Hz refresh rate.  I'm guessing this is a driver issue that needs
optimizing.  I'm running the 12.41 nVidia reference drivers for W2K.  But,
it beats the hell out of my voodoo2 performance.  (I had also tried
WickedGL, and it didn't really help much)

I will agree that on a LAN just about any card would do, but it seems with
internet play and the higher latency, that FPS within many games can lag
considerably if you have an older card.

I hear at least once a day from someone on our CS server that they get MAX
30 FPS.  I couldn't play under those circumstances.  Quoting Q3 single
machine performance is not a real world indicator for net play FPS.  Anway,
it would be nice to see some people do some benchmarks with HL/MODs.

So, I wouldn't say that just any card will give you great HL/MOD
performance...

StanTheMan
TheHardwareFreak
www.hardwarefreak.devastation.cc