That's a lot of fast disk storage for an HLDS server.  What else are you
running on that box?  WTF?  4 UW SCSI drives just for an HLDS server??

I'd guess you're using this box for other purposes as well as HLDS with that
much storage, and those processes are probably what is causing your HLDS
server to lag.

If this machines is dedicated to HLDS, why all the hi-po storage?  Are you
using software mirroring or striping of the drives?

About the only other thing that comes to mind is maps.  How many maps are in
your rotation?  If you're running a shit load of maps, that might cause it.

When this happens on our Linux server, it's usually due to low memory, and a
lot of VM paging.

I would suggest setting up PerfMon to log disk activity, VM usage, and
physical memory usage.  If you don't know perfmon very well, install
terminal services in admin only mode, install the RDP client on your remote
wks, connect to the terminal server and launch task manager.  Then watch the
resource usage in realtime when the map changes.

Better yet, I'd recommend you actually run your HLDS server from a term
service session anyway.  That way, you can remote into the machine, and have
direct access to the HLDS console.  When you kill your RDP session, all your
user processes still run, and you can reconnect to the session anytime.

I'm not currently running a win32 HLDS W2K server, but I do run 3 seti@home
instances on my W2K IIS server thru an RDP initiated session.  I logon thru
an account with admin privs, so I can completely manage the server via RDP.
The machine is headless (no display connected), and I can reboot it remotely
thru RDP, and reconnect after it boots.  It's NICE.  If you're not using
terminal services to admin that box, you should be!

StanTheMan
TheHardwareFreak
www.hardwarefreak.devastation.cc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]