An ISP delivering broadband access at home of limits of 1.5mb versus the 1mb
you buy from a datacenter are vastly different subject areas.

Technologically, the broadband access (Cable/DSL) is capped at or near the
1.5mb level (obviously, this differs per individual technology).

In the case of the datacenter, you are connect to either a 10mb, 100mb, or
1gb switch. From there, they are connected to vastly larger pipes for data
delivery. The "1mb" you buy from the datacenter is just like buying 1 apple.
You can reach into the barrel and buy damn near as many apples as you want.

They are putting a cap of 2mb on your pipe (an artificial cap). This is to
protect you and their other clients from over saturation of the pipe. They
probably have 100 clients at 1mb with 2mb caps on the same switched network,
with the expectations that at any point in time their will be available
load. But just in case, they cap you at 2mb so you can't take too much of
it.

Other datacenters treat this differently. In our case, we are  capped by the
rate of the switch (100mb) with packetshaping occuring at that level for
routing, etc purposes.  In reality, we only purchase 1/2 of that amount..
BUT.. can burst (and can be charged for) the higher rates if we need it in a
pinch.

-

Hope that helps?

Shane