Hi all,

In the (perhaps good) old 1.5 days, 50-60MHz per player would make a rather
safe bet when counting the possible amount of players for your box, but now
it seems 75-80MHz per player is a more accurate figure. Does anyone share
this thought on increased requirements and would you rate this figure as
being accurate (as far as accuracy goes for rules of thumb)?

Secondly: is anyone running a 32-player HLDS here, lag-free and on what kind
of hardware/OS would that be? We're on a dual MP1800+ (Debian Linux 2.4)
now, but since HLDS appears to use only one processor (not multithreaded, I
assume), it gets maxed out at 20-22 players at best. According to my
calculations, you'd need a box on 2560MHz (32*80), but that hardly seems a
(financially) viable option from here :)

Still, I'm curious on any hints about the hardware required to keep a
32-player box up and running, lagfree. Would Athlon 64 do some magic,
perhaps?

Lots of questions, lack of conciseness - I hope you guys (and gals) can help
out.

Cheers,
Marnix