-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steven Hartland
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 11:41 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [hlds] Windows 2000 or Windows 2003?

You clearly dont understand how HT works. Here's a brief overview:
HT makes a single CPU core look like two CPU's it does this so that the OS
can schedule additional tasks on the second "virtual" CPU and hence make use
of potentially idle execution units in the "physical" CPU.

The problem comes from at least two potential issues.
1. The "physical" CPU may not have any idle execution units due to the
design of the code being run and hence a conflict now exists.

2. The data and or code needed to satisfy the second "virtual" CPU's process
requirements invalidates in some way the data / code for the primary CPU's
process. This causes additional pipeline stalls reducing NOT increasing the
efficiency of the CPU.

So yes HT can help but it does not always help due to the potential
conflicts for resources that exist which don't exist in a true SMP system.

Tomshardware has some nice info on this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040528/index.html

    Steve / K