Jeff there are 2 different issues here & you are almost right with yours but
not quite.

The issue with the CS maps is not a new thing & occurs when a newer or older
map is on the server - The player gets bounced & what is being asked of
Valve is that there is a silent overwrite option.
I'm not really in favour of this because not all coders use beta map
versions so I could end up d/l an older map onto my client & replacing a
newer version of the map.
What is needed is a coding best practices standards where mappers change the
version of their maps through Beta & Final - This way you can never have the
wrong version.
If the map is given a mid-life update then the map name should reflect that,
dod_saints2 would be appropriate.

This latter change would have avoided the issue you are referring to Jeff in
that the new maps in the latest DoD release are different from the pre-core
Steam maps & therefore people get bounced form a server.
The bit you have not got right is that the player has the new files within
their Steam install but it is not immediately visible to you just like the
rest of the core maps.
Deleting your custom version of the map will mean you can then just join a
server without the need to d/l anything further - You already have the newer
version.
You would need to take this action for Saints, Northbound & Sturm (Although
I never had Sturm so I am not certain it was released as a custom
previously.

Jack

Avatars of Stupidity
www.clanaos.co.uk