Do you need a son?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Neil Cumming
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 6:19 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [hlds] AMD vs Intel.

Hiya,

I don't want to start a big flame, but im just really puzzled, this has been
niggling away for the last few weeks and I thought id see if anyone else has
any thoughts or experiences that may help.

Basically the servers in question are these:

3x dual amd mp 2400's, 1.5gb ram.

3x p4's 1gb ram, 3ghz, 2.8ghz and a 2.67ghz.

The p4 singles seem to be running circles around the duals, ive performed
several tests getting the boxes as full as possible.

Dual mp 2400: 52 players, spread across 4 servers. 12man, 20man, 12man,
18man.

The 20man and 18man are running metamod 1.17 and amx 0.9.7, and vac. The
other 2 servers are just running vac.

With this setup the cpu load is at 100% constant.

P4 3Ghz: 35players, spread across 2 servers. 14man, 20man, 12man.

The 20man is full running metamod 1.17 and clanmod 1.82b1 and vac. The other
2 servers are running metamod 1.17 and amx 0.9.7, and vac

With this setup the cpu load is at 30-42%

All servers were running the same map. As a cross reference the server on
the p4 (20man) was using 20-25%. The 20man on the AMD dual was using 40-45%
of total system cpu.

I need to do further testing on this to get more extensive figures, but from
early investigations despite having 2 cpu's each clocked at 2ghz (from
memory), against a 3ghz single chip its being run circles around. IF the p4
figure are to go by, if I was happy with 100% cpu load, then I could have
70-80 players running off this box to get the same cpu useage as 52players
on the dual!

Now, the other duals are all having a similar story, the p4's are doing
exceptionally well, even the 2.67 seems to be able to support more players
than the dual.

What do the rest of you think ?

---