Decreasing the FPS via the sys_ticrate will just make a bad situation worse.
If you have CPU to spare, increase it.  With the advice of someone on this
list, I run media player to alter the mm timer of Windows.  Obviously I
didn't want to leave a locked session, so I simply have it running as a
service and I'm able to vary my server FPS as I wish.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 10:21 PM Subject: [hlds] Question Concerning Server FPS

In what manner are the server’s fps and the server’s performance related? I ask this because we are having some serious issues with our servers that seem to come and go. We currently have a P4 2.8, 1GB of memory, Win 2000 system with a 20 player CS and DoD server along with a 14 player NS server. Outside of the game servers we have apache, mysql and a few other small apps running.

Our problem is that our servers show an output of very low fps. I would
say they average around 25 and sometimes dip down to 8-9. For quite a
while our players have been complaining of very high ping times,
according to the scoreboard, most notably in DoD. Personally, I think
the two are related but one of my fellow administrators feels they have
nothing in common and so he decreased the tic rate for each server to
40, to free up cpu resources, thus dropping the maximum allowed fps. (
Doesn’t make much sense to me since the processor is not be tasked at all.)

Is he wrong in his assumption and also what can be causing our server to
have such poor performance with no visible problems?