Ooks Server wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Noordermeer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 1:16 PM
Subject: [hlds] Re: [hlds][OT] Server Banwidth/Memory/CPU details

Ooks Server wrote:

HLDS will allocate obscene amounts of swapfile, and I don't think it

really

uses it. Even when I have tons of free memory it still grabs a couple
hundred MB of swapfile. I'm currently running win32 hlds under linux on

box with 320MB ram, and physical ram usage stays constant at about 180MB

or

so, with 140MB ram unused. After a week of 24/7 operation, used ram

remains

unchanged.

Could somebody explain to me why some people run the windows hlds under linux? tnx :)

I do it:

1) Because what I've heard about linux hlds over the past few years from
this and other lists is that the linux binaries blow chunks. At the very
least, the windows version is faster and/or more stable and/or has fewer
issues (/me puts on asbestos underwear).
2) I'm very familiar with the windows version.
3) I don't have to pay money to Microsoft for a bloated bug ridden swiss
cheese operating system.
4) Because it works, and works very well
5) Lastly, I just wanted to see if it would work, I never imagined it would
work so well.

Except for the "faster" blabla you could be right :p Never had issues with the linux amd64 hlds though. Tnx for the explanation :)

--
Mike Noordemeer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]