Here's the forum post:

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=950994#post95099
4

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of OoksServer
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 11:18 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [hlds] Release date and time for HL2

Clog the list? This list? Us? Never happens, nothing but pertinent
information related to hlds goes through this list lol.

If there was a date/time confirmation on SteamPowered, this would be BIG
NEWS, and would be plastered all over the site. This is the most current
news they have posted. If there is more, I've not seen it but then I didn't
really have time to search the forums.
Half-Life 2 For Sale?
November 13, 2004, 4:57 pm . valve

If you have purchased a copy of Half-Life 2, we are sorry you are still
waiting to play. This is not Valve's choice. Vivendi is insisting that the
game has not yet been released, and has threatened that Valve would be in
violation of its contract if we activate the Half-Life 2 Steam
authentication servers at this time.

Thanks for your patience and we will update you when we have more news to
share.