I think the program you were thinking of is SGSSM, I've been using it since
version 1 and it's rock steady and I notice the latest version even rcons hl2!
Here's some blurb from the website:

Steam Game Server Status Monitor (or SGSSM) is an innovative tool for Steam
game server administrators. This utility allows users to keep an eye on a
server remotely, in a small, conveniently designed window. Server statistics
are displayed in real-time, and at an interval of your choosing. SGSSM can also
function in the background. When minimized, the software moves itself into the
system tray to save valuable desktop and taskbar space, all the while using
sound cues to indicate the status of the specified server.

SGSSM also provides complete game joining and RCON client abilities. The
joining mechanism auto-detects the server's game or modification, and connects
the Steam client accordingly. If a server is locked and no password has been
previously specified, SGSSM will request one prior to joining. The RCON client
supports all known RCON commands, as well as logaddress recognition, in which
server logs may be redirected to a specific IP address for remote logging.
These logs can then be displayed in the Remote Console window.

Please be aware that SGSSM isn't a server browsing utility. It is an
independent software application which specializes in individual server
monitoring for Steam Powered game servers.

Notes: Version 2 and above now supports the Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike:
Source communication protocols. Both server monitoring and RCON capabilities
are now available for these Steam games. Undocumented command line options
include: -monitor <ip:port>, and -rcon <password>.

more info here:
http://www.primeelement.com/information.php?topic=sgssm

DaiTengu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
List Keeper wrote:
> In light of HLSW not updating fast enough for my liking, would anyone
> know of other alternative programs that have similar functionality
> over controlling servers via RCON? I remember one such alternative
> program had a GUI that looked just like Steam does, would anyone
> happen to know which one it is? I've tried guessing many different
> names and word combinations without any luck except for coming across
> Kcontrol which is "coming soon".

The next version of phpUA will have rcon control in it, (and should be out
very soon) it's not a GUI program, as it has to run on a webserver of sorts.

Http://www.phpua.com and check the phpua forums at:
http://forums.unitedadmins.com

---
Mike "DaiTengu" Miller