-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Whisper
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 12:21 AM
To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: Re: [hlds] "nosteam" hacks update?

Kevin thats the EXACT excuse I have heard being given and to some
extent is entirely correct because it is Windows total lack of
security that allows NO-STEAM to exist and makes it extremely
difficult for anybody, let alone Valve to control what the hell
happens on the client machine, so in that respect it is not Valves
fault.

On the other hand though, knowing all this, and anybody with half a
brain would, why on earth isn't all the checking done server/Valve
side I do not understand.

I do get your point though about MOD versus GAME as a Half-Life user
has legitamate access to most pre HL2 based MODS, BUT!!! it still
should not matter.

A legitamate copy of Half-Life should be on the users machine some way
some how, either with a legitamate CD key or because it was purchased
directly from Valve or as the case usually is CS is purchased directly
from Valve or from a box set with real CD-Keys which then can be
permanently locked to a specific STEAM Account.

In either case Valve knows (or should know) what STEAM Accounts and
therefore which STEAM_ID's have legitamate access to said game(s).

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:53:23 -0500, Napier, Kevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> If you mean "game" when you say mod.. then yeah I agree..duh..
> If you actually mean "mod" that doesn't exactly work since joe blow could
right his own mod and it wouldn't be associated by valve.  But yeah having a
simple check of "hey has this steam id registered as purchasing *any* game?
..oh it has great.. else.. messageuser("Bugger off..");

> Dragging "windows" "security" into this unneeded, largely irrelivent, and
arguably inaccurate.

12/28/2004