From: "Alexander Kobbevik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlds@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 2:37 AM
Subject: RE: [hlds] Concerning Cheaters (sharing ban files)

I rather have 50 players that have cheated on other servers (ofcourse we
ban if we find them..) then ban 1 clean player.
Posting cheaters to a public list without prof is bullshit... and you
should know that!

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tony Sent: 19. januar 2005 22:53 To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com Subject: [hlds] Concerning Cheaters (sharing ban files)

www.steambans.com is a wonderful service. Sadly, to take advantage of such a service, certain prereqs have to be met. Of which, I don't (I run a CS:S server out of the office, no clan, no website, no irc channel, just something me and the guys here do... build a game server, set it up, then let it go public).

I was wondering if anyone would like to share up their banned_user.cfg contents.

All my bans on my server have been very obvious cheaters (almost all speedhackers).

banid 0 STEAM_0:1:4151131
banid 0 STEAM_0:1:5345510
banid 0 STEAM_0:1:6454151
banid 0 STEAM_0:0:4851060
banid 0 STEAM_0:1:89911
banid 0 STEAM_0:1:5205849
banid 0 STEAM_0:0:1047784
banid 0 STEAM_0:1:3114641
banid 0 STEAM_0:1:592926
banid 0 STEAM_0:1:1052119
banid 0 STEAM_0:0:1699044

Small list, but my server has only been running for 8 days.

If anyone else would like to share up, feel free.

~Tony

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.7.1 - Release Date: 1/19/2005

The concept of a shared banlist if great. However, how can one rely upon the judment of admins they don't know? What are their qualifications? Experience? Tolerance? Reason(s) for the ban? What about rescinded bans? Mistakes? Every community is slightly different and bans for different reasons. There's no way to know the answers to any of these questions when you blindly subscribe to a centralized list.

It's hard enough handling all of those issues in your own community
without adding the variables of others.

Kerry
Mike's Marauders!!