I didn't say XP was altered. XP is optmized that way via It's kernel, 2003 was optimized with a different set of parameters.

The source for this information? Or just speculation?

No it's
2K->XP->XP
2K->XP->2003

We both say 2k3 was derived from xp which was derived from 2k so no problems there :)

I didn't say process priority although it does pertain to it. I stated
Optimization, ergo memory support/threading support/network support. It is
a know fact that you can recompile the *BSD/Linux Kernels to change the
way the system prioritizes certain operations, ergo a customized Kernel.

It is? Yes you an tweek a unix kernel to do purely a network IO role or purely a user application role but that doesnt give one process more priority over another and these are very specific cases. In general if you look at an out the box install of Redhat for workstation and for server they will be running the same kernel until enterprise edition stuff that is.

As far as no benefit to a game server machine, if your running multiple
gameservers on one box, you do benefit from the differences if your
running them as a system service and having the server optimized for
running background services, and using the system cache. And by your
stating you don't run anything else, your missing the fact that your
running a lot more than a gameserver, such as the Disk I/O
Subsystem/Network I/O Subsystem among other things.

You still havent give a reason why a game server run as service runs "better"? Does it run under a different part of the OS? Nar! Does it have a different sheduler? Nar! Does it run as a different priority? Quite possibly but there's nothing to stop you doing this with a foreground app.

You cant magiclly make an application perform better simplely
by running it as a service. If this where true we would run
everything as services wouldnt we?

SQL server does need huge memory support, and running multiple game
servers you need it as well.

If your game servers need multi GB's of memory I suggest there's something wrong somewhere.

Actually, wether it uses the API's or not, Windows itself will use that
model to optimize the processes it is running, including multiple
gameservers.

So an application can benifit from the existence of an API it doesnt use directly or indirectly hmm perhaps not :P

That is exactly my point, there is a benefit, but it is like comparing a
good Nvidia card that costs 150 to the newest one that costs 400-500, what
fits your need and how much will you benefit from it in the long run.
Which is also why if your running 1 or 2 game servers, you really will not
see a benefit, but if your running more, you will.

No its like running a vi or a command prompt on your new $500 GFX card thats got loads of bells and whistles for doing 3D work but your text editor could well run better on your old $150 card e.g. compare a Matrox Millenium with a Geforce 6800 you may well find the old "simple" millenium runs it quicker or as near as dam it the same speed as none of your fancy 3D features are ever used.

   Steve / K

================================================ This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd. and the person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of misdirection, the recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing or otherwise disseminating it or any information contained in it.

In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please
telephone (023) 8024 3137
or return the E.mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]