Whisper wrote:

A Windows XP SP2 issue?

Just guessing.

Nah.... I get the same on Windows 2k.  I think its a universal problem.

I was talking to a game server host yesterday; the guy was saying that
they see it all the time.  I'm guessing here, but the main list is
sending out so many pings and requests for information to so many
servers that, basically, it floods the users connection and affects the
results that you see.

I'm not sure that there is much you can do about this problem. Although,
the guy I was talking to yesterday did say that lowering the connection
setting in steam to below that of what he really had did give better
results, so guessing here again, but that sounds like the number of
concurrent requests that are made at one time is affected by the
connection setting that a user has in their steam options.