I'm using a W2K server running HL2DS (latest update from today)  with
the built in IPSec firewall.

I used this page to figure out how to configure the firewall:
http://homepages.wmich.edu/~mchugha/w2kfirewall.htm
(It is a pretty good tutorial)

I have read this page about steam ports:
http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=160

It says which ports need to be open for a dedicated server.
I have blocked all inbound UDP packets, except for those ports.
I have blocked all inbound TCP packets, except for those ports.
I have enabled all outbound UDP and TCP traffic.
I have blocked all ICMP traffic (inbound & outbound).

Also, on that steampowered page, there is a section on ports that need
to be opened for steam and steam games.. I am assuming that dedicated
servers do not need those ports opened too?

I can join the server, but I get the error message that my steam ticket
could not be validated.
I hope I don't have to enable all the client ports, only because the
IPSec interface is cumbersome and it will kill my wrists clicking so
many buttons to get the job done.