Whisper wrote:

<snip snip>
Obviously being part of GSP and being familiar with the environment, I
more for automated tools to take care of 90% of issues as that is the
only way we see we can deal with administrating such a large number of
servers, but I could be wrong and the direction that servers are
taking is for lots of single server setups run by the people playing
on them, thus this is why I feel we get ignored on these sorts of
issues.

I consider myself fortunate that i decided to NOT rent servers out thus
the option I have to simply "close up shop and board the doors against
hackers".
A GSP has no such option.

Maybe if the GSPs agreed to some sort of miniscule royalty back to VALVe
the new revenue stream would make them pay more attention than they
currently do.
(it could not be much of a royalty since making money as a GSP is as
difficult as any other business today)

Being a software engineer myself I understand why Alfred tries to limit
access to the team so as to ensure they are concentrating on priorities
for VALVe.

Speed hax. What a pain.
I tried dropping the sv_max_usercmd_future_ticks to 5 and it appears
this variable has no effect on anything whatsoever.
Perhaps sv_max_usercmd_future_ticks is not "hooked up" due to an oversight.
I think I will see what happens when this setting is zero or 1. If the
server code is not checking for movement bounds then I suspect there
will always be speed hax. Seems to me the server would work harder but
provide better quality gameplay if a player movement distance were
checked to make sure they are not going faster than allowed.

Perhaps Alfred (or other VALVe engineer)  might be willing to comment
and make recommendations on the following variables as related to speed
hax prevention...
sv_maxrate
sv_minrate
sv_maxupdaterate