-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lorenzo Fife
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 2:47 AM
To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlds] three more questions

Hi, Thanks for the great responses on my former question. I really
appreciate it.  In the end, however, i just installed Steam, followed the
steps to create a new Steam account, and ran its "Source Dedicated Server",
which works fine :)

I do have three questions though... First, i installed steam, it updated
(took a few seconds) then i clicked to install the "Source dedicated
server".  it installed that (took a minute or two), then i played.  however,
once i stopped playing, i closed the dedicated server, but left Steam
running.  for the next two or three hours, the activity light on my router
was blinking like crazy, and i noticed steam was "working"... in the
'monitor' window, it was downloading like crazy... it was then that i
noticed that suddenly my c:\program files\valve\ folder was 3.5 gigs.
what's weird though, is for the next hour that steam was "working", (and
downloading, since my activity light was flashing non-stop), the folder
didn't increase in size... why's that?  what was it downloading then?  and
why did it have to download anything, since i was able to play a game on the
server before it started downloading.

Also, where does it put the maps?  Like, i changed to "Italy" (on the
dedicated server options), and it froze up for 5 minutes, downloading, but i
can't find where it puts the map file... i'd like to know so that i can
transfer the maps from my gaming computer to the server computer, to save it
from the downloading every time i change to a map it hasn't downloaded yet.

One more thing:  I'm playing on my game computer (to connect to the server
computer i have to connect to its internal address:  192.168.1.101;  if i
try to connect to the address on the internet (i have port 27015 UDP
forwarded to the server) then it doesn't work... asks me for my Steam ticket
or something like that, with my steam username and password... which... when
i enter, doesn't work anyway). and my friend's connected from his computer
(at his home).  it works fine, except that when we're in game, he can do
"rcon_password *password*", and then give it commands, but as soon as i go
over to the server and type something in the "console" window of the
"dedicated server", then he has to enter the "rcon_password *password*" all
over again before he can issue it commands (note that he's doing it through
the CSS console window "~", and i do it through the console on the actual
server).  Should this happen?  It doesn't seem right, so it's making me
wonder.

Thanks a lot for the help, it's greatly appreciated
~Lorenzo