From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of K2
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2005 7:28 PM
To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: RE: [hlds] what to do, or not to do... was Stupid Sounds

Uh oh, time for my two cents ;)

Granted that having a ton of in-game sounds being pushed to your computer
and then having to hear the spam afterwards is annoying. However, the one
thing that Mani does that I 100% support is giving administrators *options*
- believe it or not, there are actually players out there that like to hear
that crap. I know, it's amazing ;) But who are we to dictate what admins can
run on their servers and what they cant? Or what mod makers should write?

Those of us out there that take the time to pour over the cvarlists and make
sure that are servers are what would be considered 'quality' servers... this
isn't a problem. When I saw the huge list of quake sounds in the latest Mani
update, I just disabled that function altogether and that was that, no harm
done.

On a side-note - the Mani plugin has gotten so large now and with so many
cvars... maybe it's about time to break it up into modules instead. One
plugin for the main admin functions, another for sounds and effects, etc. Oh
well.

Anyways. Even tho I'd never personally allow all sorts of random sounds and
chat to be heard/displayed on my server, I applaud the fact that the option
exists.

Food for thought.

- K2
http://www.hardfought.org