This is always an interesting discussion, in part because it seems that no
one really understands how it all work on a practical basis, and Valve has
never released a primer that allows us to understand these CVARS properly.
Thanks for the discussion.

I run a 16 person and 10 person Win32 HL2-DM servers on a P-4 3.2 GHz w/ 1
GB RAM on The Planet pipeline in Dallas, TX.  Players report some of the
best performance of any HL2-DM server which is why they are both so popular.
I run Mani's Mod with Pingkicker set at 250ms.  Both have -tickrate 100
settings, and the following netcode CVARS

sv_unlag 1
sv_maxunlag 0.5
fps_max 500
sv_minrate 3000
sv_maxrate 25000
sv_minupdaterate 20
sv_maxupdaterate 80

I get net_graph 3 readings in both servers with the value on the far right
of 16/s & 27/s on both servers from my client.

=================
Then I have another 16 person Win32 HL2-TDM server on Recon Gamer in Dallas
which resolves to Level3.net pipeline.  It has identical server.cfg CVARS as
above, but don't have command launch line access to add the -tickrate, so it
is whatever the default value is.  On that server I get net_graph readings
of 19/s & 24/s.

I don't know what those values in net_graph really mean, except
fps/ping/loss/choke, nor how server rate settings affect them.  I don't have
any reliable way of knowing what my optimal rate settings should be, except
to look at player performance which as I said has been the best that any
have reported to me for large HL2 servers.

----- Original Message ----- From: "dexion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <hlds@list.valvesoftware.com> Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 2:27 PM Subject: RE: [hlds] Most Updates a second?

Perhaps my understanding of this process is incorrect, but lets look at this a tad.

We are talking about updates a second. Ok, so if our latency to the server
were to be 10, then at best all we could do would be 100updates (10 *
100=1000 or 1 second) If your latency to the server were to be 20 then the
best you could manage would be 50?

I'm quite confused as to how it actually works I could be way off.
ah well I am fine with 33 anyhow :)
dex

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Whisper Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 10:28 AM To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com Subject: Re: [hlds] Most Updates a second?

-- [ Picked text/plain from multipart/alternative ] Oh for crying out loud Source will be the death of me Anyhow I tested it out with my client set to cl_updaterate 150 cl_cmdrate 150 and couldn't get above 90 and still stuck at around the 70 updates a second. AND its only the OUT value that seems to be affected, the IN Value seems to be stuck at 66. I wish there was somebody or website that gave concrete answers to what should be straight forward questions.