Makes sense, where the client is uploading packets to all those servers to
ping them. I just adjusted my Steam->Internet setting down to 'ISDN 112k'
(could also prolly do DSL > 256, but used ISDN to be safe), and am seeing
much more reasonable numbers. Haven't found our specific server yet, but
seeing tons more sub-100 ping servers.

Alfred, maybe on that Steam-->Internet dialog box it should explicitly tell
clients to set that to their upload speed, not download speed? Currently it
only says:

"To provide the best possible gaming experience, Steam needs to know the
approximate speed of your Internet connection". And it asks for "Internet
connection speed" (most peeps know their connection speed as their download
speed, and most connections are not symetrical). When i set that i was only
thinking about gaming (becasue of the "best possible gaming experience"
phrase), so set it to my download speed, not thinking about pinging servers
and how it would affect that (most casual users wouldn't even know how it
affects pinging even if they wanted to). So maybe the "Internet connection
speed" on that dialog should be changed to "Internet upload speed"?

Also, will setting that lower affect in-game performance, or does that
setting pertain only to the steam client? I have all my rates turned up
(maxed) in my config for CSS, and I've had mostly good performance with CSS,
even with that >1Mb/s setting in the steam Internet dialog box (so I'm
guessing it has little to do with the actual games?). No loss, little choke
ever. Hitboxes seem to be ok for me, even though i hear a lot of peeps
complain bout em (seems to me that when peeps miss a shot they like to blame
the hitboxes).