I'm not going to say that I know all of the standards of mailing lists
but as long as people snip the quote to exactly what they are talking
about I don't think it matters where the text it. To be honest, now I
have gmail which does mailing lists properly so I've given up caring.

One thing that I did find funny is that I speed read that rubbish at
the top because it was one paragraph and capitals but I read
ironchiefs every word because he made it readable, something that few
people seem to be able to do.