RFC 1855 should have been scrapped and re-written a long time ago. It has a
lot of good advice, but it was written for a different generation. It was
written back in the days when people had 14.4K modems and we still had the
paper document mentality.

From RFC 1855: "If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure
you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough
text of the original to give a context."

This is just plain bad advice. I've been posting and reading messages for 20
years, and I've never agreed with this. If you are dealing with paper
documents then this is not only a good idea, but virtually mandatory. With
paper, you can't just take an existing document and move everything down and
add stuff to the top. You have to add new information to the bottom. RFC
1855 has this out-dated paper document mentality.

Welcome to the electronic age. Today we have megabit internet connections,
and paper documents are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. We are no
longer restricted by paper documents. I get bills and bank statements
online, not via the mail in the form of a paper document. Today, it makes
more sense to put new information at the top of a document, not at the
bottom. Look at websites all over the internet. Where is the current news
posted, at the top of a web page or at the bottom? People bring up a message
in the news/email client of the choice. Does it show you the top orf the
bottom? It's time to move into the 21st century and leave bottom posting in
the past, where it belongs.

<snip>
Because they're broken. See RFC 1855. Most (all?) clients have as an
option to position the cursor after/before the quoted text.
<snip>