From: m0gely [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 10:48 PM
To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: Re: [hlds] VALVe hide our sv_downloadurl paths!

Richard Nelson wrote:

> Hiding the cvar is not useful. If someone really wants to steal your
> bandwidth, they can use some external tool to see where the requests
> are going, so while it may stop the average player it won't stop
> anyone who actually wants to do this.

No, but it will stop *a lot* of other people.

> Security through obscurity isn't
> usually a Good Idea.

As with any layer of security, 'one' alone isn't a good idea.  But this
is only one, and it's not bad idea at all.

> I would say people with only FTP access should
> be allowed to use .htaccess

The last several posts tried to explain why .htaccess has nothing to
offer in this subject.  Protecting the server from itself doesn't help
anyone.

--
- m0gely
http://quake2.telestream.com/