sv_maxrate won't matter too much if you don't increase sv_maxupdateratre
 Also we found that on >18 player servers, hell most servers if you bump
fps_max up to 600 tickrate 66 & sv_maxupdaterate 100 that you get lots of
choke with sv_maxrate 10000.
 You can see it quite easily when you play and measure your incoming
bandwidth on the client on a server setup with maxrate 20000, you will get
up to 16KB/s incoming so long as there are enough players and enough action
going on.
 sv_maxrate also seems to be a large factor on CPU usage (I dont understand
why, it just does) turning it down really lightens the CPU load.