From: James Tucker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: Re: [hlds] windows 2003 memory tweaking
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:39:02 +0100

On 8/15/05, Dustin Tuft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Minor interjection..
>
> Did I miss understand the whole point of mixing Virtual and Physical
ram?
> was it not the point of the OS telling the App where and how to get
memory,
> and if I am not mistaken, Apps don't even directly touch ram, that
little
> interface called HAL handles it, so as far as the App is concerned it's
all
> physical ram.

Yes, but changes in the environment affect the system in a particular
way, you understand. The app controls merely the volume of memory it
allocates (and most of the time de-allocs ;-p). Nothing contrary to
this has been discussed by either of us.

> So back to the point, static setup for a static need, it's not like were
> going to have a melt down if you can't lunch solitaire on the server
that's
> meant for serving...

Well that's exactly it, also the memory manager is very creative in
these situations. Don't you just love the yellow boxes.

> oh yes the MS KB, how I miss the internal one, if only I was allowed a
> burner while I was employed under the PSS outsource :'(

I lost access to a gold partner and mvp login, not everything though. n'er
mind.